Confidence When You Smile!
Do you feel like you always need to flash a restrained half-smile every time you’re in a crowd? Maybe you are too hesitant to show everyone your true smile because of a chipped or stained tooth. Dental bonding is a procedure that can be used to restore the function to a tooth that has tooth decay or just to add a cosmetic change. The beauty of dental bonding is it generally can be completed in a single appointment and may or may not need dental anesthesia and is less expensive than porcelain restorations. Dental bonding involves placing a thin coating of composite resin on the teeth. The material can be sculpted, colored and shaped to suit the patient. The plastic is hardened by a high intensity light and the surface is then polished.
At Chinook Mall Family Dental we use bonding to improve and resolve various flaws and dental conditions in our patients. Some of these include the following –
- Closing gaps between teeth – A faster method than orthodontia, cosmetic bonding closes minor gaps between teeth in as little as one visit.
- Stain treatment – When professional teeth whitening can’t remove deep stains, cosmetic dental bonding can restore the appearance of extremely stained teeth.
- Treating minor decay – Having minor decay on front teeth can be embarrassing and cosmetic dental bonding is a more aesthetic treatment than metal fillings.
- Repairing chips and fractures – Teeth with small chips and minor fractures are vulnerable to decay, and dental bonding restores and repairs damaged teeth.
- Improving misshapen teeth – Jagged, pointy, misshapen teeth are easy to correct with dental bonding.
- Adjusting teeth size – For teeth that are large or small in comparison to others, cosmetic dental bonding is an effective way of adjusting teeth size for a properly proportioned appearance.
The first step for dental bonding is a schedule a consultation with your dentist so you can discuss your treatment goals. Your dentist will use a shade guide to select the composite resin color that matches the color, of the tooth or teeth, most accurately. The procedure is quite simple and as follows –
- The dentist will prepare your tooth/teeth by roughening and shaping the surface.
- A bonding agent will be applied to ensure the composite sticks strongly to the tooth/teeth.
- The composite material will be applied and shaped. Several layers of the material may be required.
- A high intensity light may be used to harden the material.
- The dentist will smooth and polish your tooth.
Get the most out of your composite resin bond by practicing good oral care, including:
- Brushing twice a day and flossing daily
- Avoiding hard foods such as ice or hard candy
- Visit Dr. Charchuk and his Chinook Mall Family Dental Clinic Team regularly for checkups and professional cleanings.
For more information on cosmetic dental bonding and how we can help you improve your smile, we welcome you to contact us today.